This week I am only discussing the first two questions from the list I made last week. This is simply because there is a lot to cover and I like to keep things short and sweet. So, let’s get straight into it …
1. Do the people you want to communicate with use social media? For you to have an effective social media strategy you need to consider whether the people you want to communicate with use social media. Logically if your main target audience does not use social media the value of a social media to your firm might be limited. However, if your target audience uses social media then there is value in your firm having a social media strategy, however the value is dependent on your firm’s communications and ability to engage with the target.
2. What is your potential social media audience? Put simply you need to know who you might listen to your messages. When considering your potential audience you need to be aware that because social media is an open forum your audience might be larger than expected and may include groups you do not expect or dare I say it want. So ideally you need to spend some time considering who might listen, track or respond to your messages.
As you are aware there are three other questions I have to address… so tune in next week for more
The number of people using social media means that firms now can potentially communicate with more people than ever before. However, the value of social media is dependent on your target, communication and engagement. For next couple of weeks I will focus on the target, after that I will move on to communication and engagement.
Before proceeding I would like to make a small note. Whilst these topics might seem to be marketing focused they are not! This is because any firm looking to implement a social media strategy needs to understand who they are communicating with, what they want to communicate and how to engage with social media users.
In relation to your target you need to consider the following questions:
1. Do the people you want to communicate with use social media?
2. What is your potential social media audience?
3. Who are you targeting on social media?
4. What types of social media does your target use?
5. How does your target use social media?
6. Who does your target engage with?
I would like to address these questions individually…so tune in next week for more